CDC - DASH
CDC awarded FOA PS13-1308, Promoting Adolescent Health through School-Based HIV/STD Prevention and School-Based Surveillance to build the capacity of state and local education agencies, and support the efforts of national, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to help school districts and schools develop and implement sustainable program activities. Karna’s support of the program is directly relevant in that it includes: full lifecycle information system development, maintenance and support; data management, analysis, and performance reporting activities; and, collaboration with funded agencies through training and technical assistance activities. Karna’s support of the DASH FOA and the funded agencies includes building a system to collect evaluation data for policy and program planning at the national level and for accountability and program improvement at the state and local level. Karna also assists DASH in implementing the evaluation strategy outlined in the FOA, specifically related to data collection, analysis, reporting, and use of required performance measures. Tasks include:
- Conducting a business analysis of program and system needs to collect user needs and feedback, and ultimately producing recommendations through an Analysis of Alternatives (AoA).
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of a program evaluation data system including following CDC’s EPLC framework for system development, obtaining OMB clearance, and obtaining an Authorization to Operate (ATO) through the Certification and Accreditation (C&A) process to ensure the system meets or exceeds all federal security and privacy requirements.
- Data collection and processing including monitoring data quality of submissions (i.e., completeness, timeliness, validity, consistency, etc.) and producing reports and analytical data sets; Data analysis and report preparation including system-generated standard and ad hoc reports, and detailed, site-specific data analyses using SAS.
- Content analysis of policies submitted by the funded agencies using NVivo software and developing a report on the policies’ content and changes to policies over time.
- Providing training and technical assistance to funded agencies on using evaluation data and reports for program improvement. Each year an analysis is performed to identify 10 “priority” agencies for proactive technical assistance.