Did You Know?
May is National Stroke Awareness Month
Stroke is a leading cause of death in the United States, resulting in more serious long-term disabilities than any other disease. Recognizing the signs of a stroke is one of the most important ways to get help and reduce risk of long-term damage. The symptoms of stroke include:
- Sudden NUMBNESS or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden CONFUSION, trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden TROUBLE SEEING in one or both eyes
- Sudden TROUBLE WALKING, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden SEVERE HEADACHE with no known cause[i]
In observance of National Stroke Awareness Month, the Karna Wellness Team encourages employees to not only be able to recognize the signs of stroke, but also know their risk. More information can be found at https://www.mindyourrisks.nih.gov/ .
[i] National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, 2019